Welcome.

Welcome to The SHAPE of a Leader. I write this blog with the SHAPE leadership development program (for women pastors) I lead in mind, but it is for all who are interested in leadership, faith, and the intersection of the two.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Humility can be learned but not taught

A wise pastor friend made this statement to me yesterday. I'm quite certain she's right.  I can't teach my clients to be humble. How do we learn humility?  Hopefully, through consistent, clear role modeling during our formative years, we, by osmosis, become humble people.  What else would there be? 

Absent role modeling, I'm afraid that crisis is a great humility builder.  The on your knees, I give up, I realize I've had huge blinders on moments when we face reality.  It's often a reality that the way we've been wasn't really all that great.  We become really humble.  And that's a wonderful beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment